Loup Basin Public Health Department would like you to be aware of colon cancer and encourage people to get their colon checked. Nebraska ranks 6th in the nation for the highest death rate due to colon cancer and 910 Nebraskans will be diagnosed with colon cancer this year.
Colon cancer is 90% curable if it’s found early. 60% of deaths from colon cancer could be prevented if men and women 50 and older were screened regularly.
If you are 50 years or older, these are things YOU can do so that you do not become one of these statistics:
- Have a Fecal Occult Blood Test (FOBT) yearly to detect blood in the stool from polyps.
- Have a colonoscopy every 10 years to look for polyps.
- Have polyps removed to prevent cancer from starting or spreading.
- Eat a diet containing fruits, vegetables and fiber.
- Move your body! Get active!
- If you smoke, find help and quit!