LINCOLN, Neb. (April 6, 2018) The Cornhusker State Games Torch Run begins June 1 in Hemingford and will make appearances at 11 community events before lighting the caldron at the Games Opening Ceremonies on July 20 at Seacrest Field in Lincoln.
The Torch Run is the promotional precursor to the 34th annual Cornhusker State Games, which features competition in more than 60 sports July 20-29 in Lincoln, Omaha and surrounding communities. Officials expect more than 11,000 participants of all ages and abilities.
Runner applications for the Torch Run are now being accepted online at CornhuskerStateGames.com/Torch_Run. Runners will be assigned on a first-come, first-served basis for one-mile segments, using highway mile markers in most cases.
There is no fee for the Torch Run, thanks to the sponsorship of the Nebraska National Guard and Nebraska Chiropractic Physicians Association, and each runner receives a commemorative shirt.
Officials said each day of running will include 20-60 miles on local highways followed by the Torch being carried into or through a community festival or event. The complete route and event list are as follows:
- June 1 Hemingford to Alliance 385 Cruisers Car Show
- June 2 – Bridgeport to Scottsbluff Camp Clarke Days
- June 8 Kimball to Sidney Downtown Sounds Concert Series
- June 9 Imperial to McCook Buffalo Commons Story Telling & Music Festival
- June 14 – West Point to Norfolk Comedy Festival / Laugh & Half Marathon
- June 16 York to Grand Island Nebraska Danger Football Game
- June 22 – Ogallala to North Platte NEBRASKALand Days
- June 24 Holdrege to Kearney Kearney Community Olympics
- June 29 – David City to Lincoln Lincoln Saltdogs Baseball game
- June 30 Papillion to Omaha Tribute to Independence
- July 3 Humphrey to Columbus Red, White and KABOOM
Find more information on the Torch Run, Cornhusker State Games and the Nebraska Sports Council at NebraskaSportsCouncil.com.