WOOD RIVER – A family of four who was away from their home on Saturday, November 10 had no idea when leaving their home would be the last time they would be living in it.
At around 9 p.m. on Saturday evening the house fire was reported to authorities in Wood River, Nebraska. Located at 511 East Street, the totaled home belonged to Christopher and Faith Young. Both of which, according to the Grand Island Independent belonged to the Wood River Fire and Rescue.
The Young’s and their two children came home to a house leaking smoke out of the eaves. The family did not arrive in time to save the four lives of their two dogs and two cats.
Wood River Fire Cheif Todd King and his team as well as the Alda and Cairo firefighters helped with knocking down the fire, but the smoldering near the roof eventually rekindled itself after the Alda and Cairo departments were sent home. All were called back in to contain the fire. The firefighters were on scene until nearly 4 a.m.
After further investigation Chief King reported the fire started in the kitchen of the older home.
The American Red Cross assisted the family during the fire.